Advance Memphis program grads and employees of the Staffing Program are seen here completing an Outsourcing project in the new Advance Memphis Warehouse, just blocks from our offices and classrooms on Vance.
In 2015, Advance Memphis, powered by 240 volunteers, 15 staff members, dozens of donors, and an incredible community of participants, operated programs that empowered the people of 38126 to move into financial security.
Below, you’ll see just a few of the tangible outcomes of the work this community did this year. There are many more life changes that are less easily measured: the 40 year old who opens his first bank account, the woman who stopped drinking, the man who proudly supports his children, the woman who earned her GED, the man with a drivers license and a new job.
THIS is how our Lord will “undo the straps of the yoke to let the oppressed go free.”
- 80 participants will complete job readiness training through Work Life.
- 61 participants received 12+ hours of GED/HSE instruction and 6 participants received their GED/HSE. The new, more difficult test is causing a nationwide decrease in pass rates. More info about this change: bit.do/gedchanges.
- 18 students received higher-ed counseling. 10 enrolled in courses or training.
- SUPPORT THIS WORK
- 165 counseling sessions were held, with 17 clients attending 3 or more sessions.
- 15 crisis counseling sessions were provided.
- 72 graduates attended 3 or more addiction recovery meetings this year.
- 40 participants will complete Anger Management training.
- 73 graduates have been hired into temporary positions. 25 graduates have been hired into temp-to-hire positions. The average starting wage was $9.01, almost 25% above Tennessee’s minimum wage and 20 cents above our 2014 average starting wage.
- YTD, graduate employees of our Staffing Program have earned gross wages of $1,236,000.
- 199 graduates have been rehired after a period of unemployment.
- 13 graduates have received fork lift certification
- 18 participants completed Faith & Finances training and 10 new matched saving accounts (IDAs) were opened. 12 people have been saving in their IDAs consistently for 6+ months. 3 participants purchased an asset using their IDAs.
- 12 participants completed LAUNCH entrepreneurial training. 64% of LAUNCH alumni are still operating businesses; 2 new businesses were registered in ‘15.
PARTNER IN THIS WORK!
- The new Advance Memphis Warehouse (pictured above) is already providing job coaching and employment right here in the neighborhood. There is much more to come next year. Support this work through prayer and business referrals.
- Relationships are the key to the work we do. Mentors in most of our core programs provide relational support that changes lives. Support this work by volunteering as a Champion (day, Work Life), Ally (evening, Faith & Finances), or entrepreneurial mentor (evening, LAUNCH). Support this work by volunteering. Email: email@example.com.
Volunteer hours, donations, and prayers are essential. Get involved using the information below.
JOIN THE PRAYER LETTER TEAM: firstname.lastname@example.org
GIVE: Mail to PO Box 2201, Memphis, 38101 or go to advancememphis.org/give.